Yogic tips for survival in the modern times section.
Handling Our Emotions in these Shifting Times
When it gets right down to it, everyone wants to be Happy. Sometimes we just don't know how. In the Yogic Scriptures it states, "It is our Birth Right to be Happy." We are not born in guilt, nor sin - we are actually blessed to be human. This University called Earth is where we come to learn and the challenges we are given to grow sometimes appear rough. Once we commit to remain happy, the entire psyche of this planet benefits from our decision - so we are making an offering towards World Peace!
My Teacher, Yogi Bhajan, used to tell us to count our blessings, not our curses. Meditate on the gravity of this. When you accept you are blessed, blessings start appearing everywhere. I love his statement, "If you can't see God in all, you can't see God at all."
Discovering the subtle mystery in all places, people and situations makes life much more exciting. But we're human. And things bug us, make us mad, so we don't always see the Divine at play. Here are a few tips:
- For 40 days, No Negative Words: Say nothing negative, hear nothing negative, not even against your worst enemy. Every breath is a new breath of life. Negative reactions merely eat up our energy, so let's forgive the past and move on.
- Our moods make us burst out with words that shake the trust of even very loyal friends. Speak not in anger; try this: press your tongue against the upper palate very firmly and begin long, deep breathing through the nose. Slowing the breath to 5-7 times a minute for 3 minutes will alter the mind's frequency, calm the emotions, and your tongue will occupied so you can't speak.
- Hydrate: We get upset when we are dehydrated. Take some water, say a prayer over it, and drink it. We can't stay mad if our water level is ok.
- Chew on a carrot or celery stick. It'll occupy and channel a lot of the inside disruption. One man used to fight with his wife all the time. He started chewing on celery instead, and their relationship totally improved. It's also good for the nerves and blood sugar.
- Lastly, connect with your soul's journey here. We didn't come to bicker. Sit quietly; feel your own Infinite purpose. Don't get angry over the small things. Forgive Yourself, Forgive the Universe, Forgive Others. This is a very Divine trip to Planet Earth where we want to see everyone blossoming like beautiful flowers, spreading their fragrance everywhere.